Building Community Through a Little Free Library (12/2/2022)

Can you think of a project that requires little effort, doesn’t cost much, is self-perpetuating, provides a community service and brings positive recognition to your FFA or 4-H organization. A Little Free Library would accomplish that plus more!

What is a Little Free Library? A Little Free Library is a “take a book, return a book” free book exchange. They come in many shapes and sizes, but the most common version is a small wooden box of books. Anyone may take a book or bring a book to share. Little Free Library book exchanges have a unique, personal touch. There is an understanding that real people are sharing their favorite books with their community; little libraries have been called “mini-town squares.”

libraryfigure 1.jpg

Figure 1. The Little Free Library on my property.

Since the past few Friday Footnotes have focused on reading and FFA libraries, it is time to introduce you to the Little Free Library program. This is something your students could do as part of their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) program or could be a chapter activity. Perhaps a Little Free Library could be established in each neighborhood from which you draw students.

The Little Free Library Movement

Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization based in St. Paul, Minnesota. Their mission is to be a catalyst for building community, inspiring readers, and expanding book access for all through a global network of volunteer-led Little Free Libraries.

Their vision is a Little Free Library in every community and a book for every reader. They believe all people are empowered when the opportunity to discover a personally relevant book to read is not limited by time, space, or privilege.

littlelibrary graphic.png

Figure 2. A graphic from the Little Free Library web site.

Why Does Reading Matter? We are facing a growing literacy crisis. Today in the United States, more than 30 million adults cannot read or write above a third-grade level. Studies have repeatedly shown that books in the hands of children have a meaningful impact on improving literacy. The more books in or near the home, the more likely a child will learn and love to read. But two out of three children living in poverty have no books to call their own.

Little Free Library book-sharing boxes play an essential role by providing 24/7 access to books (and encouraging a love of reading!) in areas where books are scarce.

The Little Free Book organization supports and promotes the libraries, but you are in charge of your own library.

My Experience with a Little Free Library

I live in a suburb of Raleigh, North Carolina (Cary). The lot on which my house is located has a little extra wooded acreage. Some years ago I installed a koi/goldfish pond on the acreage and identified 20 different species of trees on the property. I then made interpretive signage for the trees and designed a trail through the property. I called it a nature area and opened it to the public.

Next, I located a geocache on the property and listed it on geocaching.com. I also installed a horseshoe court and created some other recreational features such as a music post, a balance log, etc. Because of the foot traffic through the area I decided to install a Little Free Library. In my travels I have noticed several little libraries and thought it was a neat idea.

According to the Little Free Library web site the first step is to Identify a location and a steward. They state “First decide where you can legally and safely install the library. The location should also have a lot of foot traffic and be highly visible to anyone nearby. Then identify at least one person to be the steward (steward = caretaker). This person promotes the library and makes sure it is clean and inviting.” Since I was to be the steward and install it on my property, I quickly checked that off.

My next task was to create the library structure. I did a Google search to see pictures of Little Free Libraries. There was an immense array of structures from the simple to the elaborate. Figure 3 below shows some of the library structures.

library collage.png

Figure 3. Example of Little Free Libraries

The Little Free Library organization does sell premade libraries but since I am an agriculture teacher I decided to build one myself (and I knew I could make it for less than theirs). Being a teacher I decided to build a library structure that looked like a school house. I wanted it big enough to house two rows of books, one row for adults and one row for kids. I also challenged myself to use only one sheet of exterior plywood in making it. The only tool I had was a table saw. If I had access to a modern school shop with all the sophisticated equipment, there is no telling what could have been constructed. The end result is below in Figure 4 & 5.

My library figure 4.jpg

Figure 4. My Little Free Library. I tell people to ring the school bell when they get a book.

bookshelf.jpg

Figure 5. A close up of the two rows of books. The top row is for adults. The bottom row is for kids. I typically display some of the books for the younger readers facing out to entice the reader.

After I installed the library, I placed a couple of signs on it asking for folks to donate books to the library. After about a week it was full of books. I also placed sidewalk chalk in the library and encouraged kids to write on the sidewalk. I put chalkboards on two sides of the structure so people could leave messages or solve math problems I post.

I also posted sayings about reading on the library doors and swapped them out from time to time. Some of the signs I posted were:

• “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
  • “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
  • “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx
  • “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
  • Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
  • “If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • “Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” – P.J. O’Rourke
  • “The man who does not read good books is no better than the man who can’t.” – Mark Twain
  • “Show me a family of readers, and I will show you the people who move the world.” – Napoléon Bonaparte
  • “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” – J.K. Rowling
  • “What better occupation, really, than to spend the evening at the fireside with a book, with the wind beating on the windows and the lamp burning bright.” – Gustave Flaubert
  • “There is no Frigate like a Book To take us Lands away” – Emily Dickinson
  • “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” —Joseph Addison
  • “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” – Mason Cooley

The third step is to register your library. You really don’t have to do this, but I recommend it. The registration fee is $39.95 and you will receive a small metal plaque to mount on the library. It will have a unique identification number that you can then use to add your library to the map of Little Free Libraries around the world. This allows the public to find the library. See Figure 6.

lfl sign.jpg

Figure 6 The Library registration plaque.

There is a free Little Free Library app for your smartphone. So if you are traveling and want to visit a little free library just type in the city or zip code and there will be a map showing the location of the libraries. By touching the marker on the screen detailed information will pop up. See Figure 7.

lfl map.jpg

Figure 7. The Little Free Library map app showing my library.

The last step is to promote and maintain your library. I spend about 5 minutes a week tidying up the books (and identifying the books I want to read).

Concluding Remarks

What is there left to say? Having a Little Free Library is a community service, promotes reading, is a good public relations tool, and indicates that you are all about education. The library could also serve as an attraction if you want folks to visit your school facilities, community garden, nature area, school farm, etc. A teacher could put recruitment materials for the agricultural education program in the library, information sheets about the FFA or 4-H, and agricultural bulletins. The possibilities are endless.

My Little Free Library tends to serve as a community meeting place. It is not uncommon to see folks visiting with other families.

neighbors.jpg

Figure 7. The neighborhood Meeting place.

The Little Free Library web site has a wealth of materials, videos, and other resources to help you get started. What are you waiting for? You could probably even find businesses willing to sponsor a little free library location.